2/3 cup *butter or margarine
3 onions, chopped
3 leeks, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped
2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
Carrots may be removed completely, for diabetics. The soup will be just as good. Remember to adjust the amount of stock.
1/2 cup *white wine
6 Tomatos, peeled and chopped. Seeded if you wish.
2 quarts Vegetable stock
Salt & pepper, to taste
Parsley, chopped (garnish)
Ready all items BEFORE attempting to cook anything.
1. In a large pot, melt the butter or margerine.
2. When it's melted, saute the onions and leeks, but do not let them brown. Larger pieces take longer. Saute them until tender.
3. Add the celery, carrots, and white wine. Let them cook, and stir occationally, until carrots and celery are tender.
4. Add the tomatos and veggie stock. Stir. Season to taste with salt and black/white pepper.
5. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let simmer for 30 mins.
6. Before you are done, taste it to see if it needs any more seasoning.
7. Server in your favorite bowl with a sprinkle of the chopped parsley.
*Olive oil may be used instead of butter or margarine.
*Don't use cooking wine. It will add a bitter and/or salty flavor. You may, however, use the cheap white drinking wine of your choice.